It is the mandate of the Standards Committee to develop and review standards on an ongoing basis. Content expertise has been provided by perioperative Registered Nurses across Canada and reflects current practice, research, and review of medical/surgical/nursing literature.
The Standards Committee has endeavoured to develop a “user friendly” document that will serve as a guide and reference for perioperative Registered Nurses, health care facilities providing care to surgical patient, and other professionals associations. The volunteer members of the Standards Committee review/revise modules on a continuous basis within a two year timeframe for availability in conjunction with the biennial conferences. The Standards are made available in both English and French. Starting in 2015 a process for validation of the Standards will commence creating a more robust, evidence based document.
- CPSI Endorsement
- January 18, 2016: Call for Standards Reviewers
(Please contact us by January 31, 2016)
- September 3, 2015: 12TH EDITION, ORNAC Standards Corrections
Get more information about...
Questions or Comments about the ORNAC Standards?
- 1983 - ORNAC inaugurated
- 1986 -“Recommended Standards for Operating Room Nursing Practice”. First Edition for ORNAC!!
- 1988 -“Recommended Technical Standards” were published. This was a significant milestone for a young organization. The body of knowledge required in the specialty was defined as required by the Canadian Nurses Association to meet the requirements of a certification process.
- 1993 -“Recommended Standards for Perioperative Nursing Practice” The two documents were combined in a single issue and also included a chapter on competencies. That issue was used as a primary resource for the development of the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) Certification exam in Perioperative Nursing Practice.
- 1998 -“Recommended Standards for Perioperative Nursing Practice” 1998 edition reflected the movement towards ambulatory surgery. 2003 -“Recommended Standards, Guidelines and Position Statements for Perioperative Nursing Practice”
- 2003 revision has incorporated a major format change. This edition has been re-designed into modules. The constant rapid change in healthcare requires a design that enables more consistent review/revision.
- 2013 -The ORNAC Standards for Perioperative Registered Nursing Practice 11th Edition – April 2013 (English & French Versions) 30th anniversary edition with a special commemorative cover.
- 2015 - The ORNAC Standards for Perioperative Registered Nursing Practice 12th Edition – April 2013 (English & French Versions)